How to Successfully Use the Gonal-f Pen From IVF Prescriptions
If you have to use the Gonal-F pen for your IVF treatment – no need to worry or stress about it – it’s not that hard to do.
It may be scary at first, but so is everything that you try for the first time.
So don’t worry if you are nervous because everyone is – it is only natural to feel this way.
You will need a couple of things you must know about using Gonal-F.
We will share with you what you will need and how to use the pen.
4 Key Things You MUST Know About Using Gonal-F
- Keep a pen and paper near your Gonal-F medication so you can keep a record your daily dosage. Each day you will subtract from the total number of units on the pen to keep track of what’s left. This will help you keep a record of how much medication you have left.
- Inject the pen quickly in a dart-like motion. This will help minimize the discomfort injecting yourself.
- Store your Gonal-F pen in the refrigerator. Only do this if you are planning on using the pen again.
- Do not share your Gonal-f pen or needles with another person. You could potentially give or receive an infection from them.
7 Things You Will Need to Safely and Successfully Use Your New Gonal-F Pen:
- Gonal-f Pen (300IU, 450IU, or 900IU)
- Micro-Fine Needles
- Alcohol wipes to clean your injection site
- Tissue in case you bleed you have something to put pressure with and stop the bleeding
- Band-aid (just keep one handy – you may not need it)
- Sharps container to dispose of your needle
- Gonal – F dose prescribed by your doctor to add your Gonal-f pen
14 Steps to Properly Use Your Gonal-f Pen
- Gather everything you will need. Gonal-f Pen, Gonal- F dose, needle, an alcohol wipe, and one tissue.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap. Be sure to clean in between your fingers.
- Clean the rubber stopper on the outside of the Gonal-F pen with an alcohol wipe and allow to air dry for a couple of seconds.
- Remove the outer paper wrapper of the new needle.
- Screw the new needle onto the pen using a clockwise motion.
- Remove the outer needle shield so you can add your Gonal-F medication.
- Dial your prescribed dose with the dial at the top of the pen. Make sure it lines up with the dose with the arrow indicator.
- Pull on the dial in an outward motion until you hear some clicks and you cannot pull the dial anymore.
- Clean the area you will inject with an alcohol pad. The lower abdomen area is the preferred area for this type of injection.
- Inject the needle. Push the injection button at the top of your Gonal-F pen until it cannot be pushed in anymore.
- Keep the needle in the skin for at least 5 seconds to make sure that all the medication is gone.
- Gently remove the needle from the skin to avoid any bleeding or bruising.
- Scoop up the outer needle shield using the pen then carefully cover the needle.
- Unscrew the needle from the Gonal-F pen.
- Immediately dispose of the needle in a safe place-preferably in a sharps container.
That’s all you need to know about successfully using your Gonal-F pen from IVF Prescriptions. If you need any additional help or have any questions please consult with your doctor.