Who should be concerned with increasing their sperm count?
Whether you have low a sperm count or not, if you are trying to impregnate your significant other, you may want to adjust your diet to increase your sperm to optimum production. Maximizing your sperm count can definitely increase your chances of a successful full-term gestational pregnancy.
Can altering my diet increase my sperm count?
Believe it or not, you can boost your sperm production simply by adjusting your diet. Yes, merely by eating the right foods in the right amounts you can naturally increase your sperm production. That sounds too good to be true, right? Well usually when something sounds too good to be true it is, but not in this instance. Diet can play a vital role in male fertility.
What are the best foods to increase sperm production?
- One way your diet can improve your sperm count is that studies showed that men who have a high Vitamin C, Vitamin E, zinc and folate (folic acid, Vitamin B9) have healthier, more viable sperm. Citrus fruits are an excellent source of vitamin C. Foods like almonds, spinach, squash, sweet potato, and palm oil are excellent sources for vitamin E.
- The omega-3 fatty acids found in fish provide DHA and EPA which are known to raise dopamine levels in the brain. Dopamine is known to trigger arousal in men and so increase sperm production. Eating oily fish like tuna, salmon, mackerel and sardines provide these Omega-3 fatty acids.
- If you can’t stomach eating oysters on the half shell, try eating a big juicy steak as these foods provide the much needed zinc as mentioned above. You can also eat chicken, eggs, shrimp, pork, or even pumpkin seeds to get the zinc you need.
- Dairy foods like milk, cheese, cottage cheese, or even ice cream are also excellent sources for zinc.
- Another vital nutrient for your little guys is ALA (alpha-linolinic acid), a plant source for omega-3 fatty acids that can be found in walnuts.
How much of these foods should I eat?
You should consume at least the recommended daily allowances of these nutrients vital to sperm production. By regularly maintaining a healthy diet you maintain a healthy body. When your body is good physical shape you get optimum functioning in all systems, including reproduction.
But by incorporating these specific nutrient rich foods into your diet you can boost your sperm production and the odds of adding that special addition into your life. Some doctors may suggest these changes in combination with fertility meds like hormones or IVF medicines for the best chances of conceiving.
To read more on the different medications you can use to increase fertility in males, and the variety of options in assisted reproduction techniques and accompanying methods that may be a future alternative for you, please check out our online fertility medications page and our IVFPrescriptions blog.